BS6396 is the Standard for electrical installations in office and educational furniture connected to the supply by means of a 13A BS1363 plug – Standard UK square pin plug.
BS6396 currently applies to electrical installations in office and educational furniture connected to the supply by a Standard UK BS1363 square pin 13A fused plug.
The standard is now being updated and the draft is available for review and comment on the British Standards’ website here
Tim Hobbs, the owner of OE Electrics, has played an integral role, along with other experts in this field, in reshaping BS6396 to better reflect the changing role of electrical installations in office and educational furniture.
Summary of major changes
· Improved clarity on when furniture needs to be earthed – solving our 30 year old bone of contention
· Much awaited inclusion of USB outlets in furniture installations
· Guidance on the use of batteries and inverters in furniture – including markings and instructions
· Improved guidance on RCD components and testing
· Widening of BS6396 to cover ALL furniture that is supplied from a 13A plug – not just office and educational furniture